On Sunday March 5th, 2006 - - as the world waits to see which stars will take the golden statuette home - - here's an Oscar moment from the past.
• • Never nominated for an Oscar nor any other entertainment award, Mae West was invited in 1958 to open the ceremony with Rock Hudson.
• • It's an Academy tradition to begin each telecast with a musical medley. The 1958 medley climaxed with 33-year-old Rock Hudson and 64-year-old Mae West singing "Baby, It's Cold Outside." As they concluded the number, Rock offered Mae a cigarette, noting that it was "king-sized" - - and Mae replied, "Mmmm, it's not the men in your life, it's the life in your men!"
• • They ended with a long, slow, passionate kiss.
• • The Mae West - Rock Hudson number lived on. Years ago, bootleg recordings of it were circulated.
• • Photo • Mae West with Rock Hudson 1958