There's been so much fanfare around MAE WEST that she has become portable. She's in Edward Field's poem, in Cole Porter's lyrics, in Dali's painting as well as his sofa.
• • In November 2014, Prof. Erin Scudder brought her paper to an academic event. "Storying the Portrait: the case of Mae West" was delivered at "Truth or Beauty: Poetry and Biography" conference, Victoria University of Wellington.
• • Erin Scudder wrote: The visual equivalent of a Mae West biography, for example, might look like a sequence of images . . . (Her essay is seven pages long and can be found online.)
• • On Saturday, 12 November 1927 • •
• • Billboard commented on Saturday, 12 November 1927 about Mae West's play "The Wicked Age." Their remarks were exceedingly unkind.
• • On Thursday, 12 November 1964 • •
• • Hal Humphrey's article, "Charlie and Mae Together Again," ran in The Los Angeles Times on Thursday, 12 November 1964.
• • On Friday, 12 November 2010 • •
• • On Friday, 12 November 2010, The City Commons Club of Berkeley offered a program on Mae West at their luncheon. Jennifer King spoke about "Mae West, America's Actress, Dancer, and Entertainer Extraordinaire" in the Venetian Room of the lovely Julia Morgan City Club in Berkeley, California.
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • Mae West stars in "Belle of the Nineties," which opens today at the Paramount for an indefinite run. It's expected to go four weeks.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "I won't drink Los Angeles water — — it's terrible. I only drink bottled water."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • Motion Picture Daily mentioned Mae West.
• • As we get the slant, the fuss on the part of various religious groups is to clean up where the broom should have been applied by the industry on its own many months back. This is not to say that Clark Gable will have to do his acting while dancing around a May pole. Although Mae West and Jean Harlow, it is true, may find trouble finding places to go. The movement means what this column pointed out some days back: That Hollywood will have to prove its brain superiority by finding the middle course — — which is the safe course. . .
• • Source: Item in Motion Picture Daily; published on Friday, 27 July 1934
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 11th anniversary • •
• • Thank
you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during these
past eleven years. The other day we entertained 3,497 visitors. And we reached a
milestone recently when we completed 3,200 blog posts. Wow!
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started ten years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 3309th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • at a party in 1934 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West