A toast to MAE WEST and two other entertainers will be on the boards for a mid-morning presentation in Australia today on Wednesday, 17 June 2015. It's called "Tribute to Marilyn Monroe, Mae West, and Peggy Lee" and it will begin at 10:00 AM.
• • Presenter Issi Dye wrote: Cabaret star Aurora Mackrill will present her new show, which is a tribute to the three wonderful female superstars of the silver screen [sic].
• • Where: Cardinia Cultural Centre, Lakeside Boulevard, Pakenham, Victoria, Australia.
• • On Friday, 17 June 1932 • •
• • Mae West would, no doubt, be capable of delivering "curdling melodrama," predicted the publication Hollywood Citizen News in its issue dated Friday, 17 June 1932.
• • On Thursday, 17 June 1982 • •
• • Fergus Cashin's highly suspect biography on Mae West was released in paperback by Virgin Books on Thursday, 17 June 1982. Before you try to find it, however, read the review by Kirkus, which slams it and explains why. Clearly, the former reporter wished to "cash in."
• • Lacking footnotes and spiked with peculiar points, Cashin's biography makes you wonder what standards a British book publisher has before they accept a manuscript oozing with snark, insinuations, and venom.
• • Fergus Cashin, who worked for the Daily Express, Daily Sketch, and The Sun, died on 4 October 2005 at a hospice in Surrey, aged 81.
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • It is rumored here that the end of the careers of Mae West and Anna Sten, the sensational Russian star, is likely if the ban extends.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "I never let anything stop me, once I set my heart on it. I've never had a wishbone where my backbone should be."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • An American fashion magazine mentioned Mae West.
• • The Material Girl has revived the days of serious Hollywood glamour in the video for the song ["Hollywood"], meanwhile. Paying tribute to the likes of Ginger Rogers, Jean Harlow, and Mae West, Madonna is seen swathed in £13 million-worth of gems, including the original 25-carat ring and bracelet that was worn by West in the 1933 film, "She Done Him Wrong." . . .
• • Source: Feature in Vogue; published on Tuesday, 17 June 2003
• • Note: we would love to know which stylist worked on that video and who arranged the Mae West estate jewelry for the shoot. As Mae-mavens know, the Brooklyn bombshell wore an array of bracelets, rings, earrings, and and sparklers in this motion picture, one piled on after the other, the way little girls do when they play dress up. A classic motion picture that will be remembered.
• • The Mae West Blog celebrates its 10th anniversary • •
• • Thank
you for reading, sending questions, and posting comments during this
past decade. The other day we entertained 3,497 visitors. And we reached a
milestone recently when we completed 3,200 blog posts. Wow!
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started ten years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 3202nd blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • in 1932 • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West