It was June when columnist Dorothy Kilgallen broke some fascinating news about MAE WEST and garters.
• • "Garters Stage Comeback? Listen to Mae" • •
• • HOLLYWOOD, June 10 (UPI) — Don't get her wrong, Tiffany's Mae West is a garter collector from way back. But the platinum-tressed lady who was the Jayne Mansfield of the 1930s predicts the "comeback" of the jeweled garter may be nipped in the bud by today's fashions.
• • Miss West was referring to the announcement earlier this week that the New York jewelry store (that hasn't sold a garter since the gay '90s) has come up with a modern day version, which sells for $125,000 to $512,000 a leg.
• • "It sounds like it might be a lot of fun for a gent like Senor Trujillo who likes to give nice things," the buxom 62-year-old acknowledged. "And it may become a fad and sweep the country. Who knows!"
• • Source: Dorothy Kilgallen's Voice of Broadway column rpt in The Salt Lake Tribune; published on Wednesday, 11 June 1958.
• • On Saturday, 12 June 2004 • •
• • Paul Bush screened his various short subjects throughout May 2005 in London at the Curzon Cinema. A one-minute hat-tip to Mae was recorded on Beta: "Busby Berkeley's Tribute to Mae West"  — — as imagined by director Paul Bush. This playful short was first released in the USA on Saturday, 12 June 2004.
• • Overheard in Hollywood • •
• • Mae West repeated the claim — — much to Cary Grant's irritation — — in countless interviews that she had discovered him.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "She who laughs lasts."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • An article about a radio museum in Oregon mentioned Mae West.
• • A rare, 1938 table radio case shaped like a bosom and supporting two flesh-colored cones is nicknamed the Mae West and is on display at Russ and Sue Webb's Russ' Old Radio Museum in Eagle Point. ...
• • Source: Article for The Oregonia; published on Friday, 6 June 2014
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started nine years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2934th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • girdle with garters • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West