They came to honor MAE WEST in August 2013 and find out about her play "Diamond Lil" — — and they went away with gifts: 1890s-style hats, vintage photos, and rare caricatures of Mae West in her prime as Diamond Lil, for instance.
• • Here are the names of our lucky Raffle Winners.
• • August 12th winners: Jonathan L. Mandell, Sarahy Velez, Richard Northcutt
• • August 17th winners: Suzanne Smart, Elaina DiCarlo
• • August 18th winners: Diana Sica, Cecilia Saggio, Lea Viglione, Jon Krug
• • Different raffle prizes will be awarded in the autumn after each performance.
• • On Tuesday, 12 September 1933 • •
• • Paramount Pictures pumped out the promotional copy for Mae West's "She Done Him Wrong" during 1933. "Not Once But Again and Again" read one ad headline printed in Variety's issue dated for Tuesday, 12 September 1933. "Yes, they kinda went for me," Mae tells her audience in another advertisement.
• • On Wednesday, 12 September 1934 in Singapore • •
• • Singapore's English language daily The Straits Times announced (on page 7) a half-price matinee for "I'm No Angel" starring Mae West in their issue dated for Wednesday, 12 September 1934.
• • See "Diamond Lil" This Autumn! • •
• By popular demand, actress Darlene Violette — — and the wonderful
cast who brought the Bowery denizens and Suicide Hall’s ne’er-do-wells
to life — — will return in “Diamond Lil” for several evening performances at Don’t Tell Mama [343 W. 46th Street] on these dates in 2013:
• • 7:00pm on Sunday September 15th and 22nd.
• • 7:30pm on Sunday October 27th — Hallowe'en Party — come in 1890s costume!
• • 7:00pm on Sunday November 3rd — vote for Gus Jordan for Sheriff Night.
• • 8:30pm on Sunday November 10th
• • 7:00pm on Sunday November 17th
• • 7:00pm on Sunday November 24th
• • Phone after 4pm to reserve a seat: 212-757-0788; RSVP online: www.donttellmamanyc.com
• • Closest MTA subway stations: 42nd St./ Times Sq. via A, C, E, 1, 2, 3
• • The public is
invited (suitable for age 18 and over). Join us as we turn the iconic
NYC nightspot Don't Tell Mama into Gus Jordan's "Suicide Hall"!
• • The Cast:
Starring Darlene Violette as Diamond Lil, Queen of the Bowery and also
featuring Sidney Myer, Anthony DiCarlo, Joanna Bonaro, Gary Napoli, Juan
Sebastian Cortes, Kimmy Foskett, Jim Gallagher and live music by Brian
• • Director: Co-directed by Dena Tyler, The Actors Studio, and Darlene Violette.
• • Come up and see for yourself. You might even win a swell Raffle Prize.
• • Read a Review of "Diamond Lil" • •
• • L'Idea Magazine's editors attended four times and had a lot to say. Here's the link: http://www.lideamagazine.com/usa-still-entertaining-mae-wests-diamond-lil-makes-new-fans-in-new-york-city/
• • Staying faithful to the gritty themes in the novel, LindaAnn Loschiavo trimmed the work to 85 minutes for a cast of eight.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "I think this return to the graceful, comfortable curves of yesteryear will be a wonderful thing for the women of America. It will improve their health, give them vitality and more magnetism, and add to their natural charm."
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • Carol Ward discussed Diamond Lil and Mae West.
• • Carol Ward wrote: With a primarily British cast, "Diamond Lil" played from September 1947 to May 1948 in England ... Mae West was courted by the literati as she had once been in America. Reviewers appreciated her legendary status: "She, herself, is a Restoration comedy rolled into one body — — earthy, happy, and outspoken." Audiences loved her showstopping musical set in the third act and her humorous curtain speech, calling her back with several ovations. The prudery and conservatism that underpinned West's persona made her appealing to an essentially British public. West got into trouble with a scene in which the South American gigolo fondles her breasts on stage, but overall the British theatre goers understood the campy good humor of the melodramatic play. ...
• • Source: Book: "Mae West: A Bio-bibliography" 
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started nine years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2740th blog post.
Unlike many blogs, which draw
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • Diamond Lil returned for Mae's birthday • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest
NYC Mae West