Spend the afternoon today with MAE WEST. N.Y. Press highlighted "Five Events You Can't Afford to Miss" this week — — and the annual Mae West walking tour was a top selection. Thank you N.Y. Press. We love you.
• • For an a-MAE-zing walking tour, come up and see Mae and celebrate with a nice group of people.
• • Mae West & Eugene O'Neill: Off-beat Links • •
• • At a time when City Hall was monitoring "dirt plays" and policing the ever present threat of theatrical innovations, both Eugene O'Neill and Mae West aroused the finger shakers in the mayor's office. Joab Banton, N.Y.'s District Attorney, was especially severe on both playwrights. "Desire under the Elms" really got Banton's knickers in a knot. This drama was "too thoroughly bad to be purified by blue pen," said Banton.
• • Oh, those purity police! Ever on the patrol for playwrights — — and meanwhile NYC bootleggers buzzed up the booze profits.
• • On Sunday afternoon, 14 August 2011 • •
• • "Mae West in Bohemia — — Gin, Sin, Censorship, and Eugene O'Neill"
• • Mae West's birthday is August 17th. Join us at 3:00 pm on Sunday afternoon, 14 August 2011. The title of this illustrated historical theme walk is "Mae West in Bohemia — — Gin, Sin, Censorship, and Eugene O'Neill." Rare vintage illustrations will show you how the buildings and blocks looked as these two theatre people saw them.
• • Where: This illustrated walking tour begins at 62 West Ninth Street, NYC (near Sixth Avenue). Join us and take a walk on the wild side next weekend.
• • In Her Own Words • •
• • Mae West said: "Good sex is like good Bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.”
• • Quote, Unquote • •
• • San Francisco costume designer Eleanor Knowles Dugan, always keeping abreast of fashion and design trends, was watching "Project Runway" when she heard a familiar style icon mentioned: Mae West.
• • Eleanor Knowles Dugan writes: This week's episode of Project Runway (11 August 2011) teamed the designers to make fashions for stiltwalkers, necessitating pants. In one pairing, the 22-year-old designer Viktor suggested they do something "glamorous 1930s Hollywood, like Mae West." Bert, the 57-year-old designer, said snootily, "Mae West never wore pants!" But of course Mae DID — — as the lion tamer in "I'm No Angel!" Hmmm. So much for the superior knowledge of age. ...
• • Source: Eleanor Knowles Dugan
• • By the Numbers • •
• • The Mae West Blog was started seven years ago in July 2004. You are reading the 2022nd blog post. Unlike many blogs, which draw upon reprinted content from a newspaper or a magazine and/ or summaries, links, or photos, the mainstay of this blog is its fresh material focused on the life and career of Mae West, herself an American original.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • invitation • •
• • Feed — — http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MaeWest