MAE WEST cultivated her curves. Nevertheless, in Tinseltown THIN is in.
• • Recently, an Associated Press headline focused on Hollywood's real bottom line: chicks with big buttocks rarely play the romantic lead in big budget flicks.
• • AP reporter David Germain nudged his readers with this come-on: "Hairspray" embraces big girls; can Hollywood handle the weight? Here is an excerpt.
• • According to David Germain's newspaper article, The ladies of "Hairspray" are a rarity in fat-phobic Hollywood, whose obsession with willowy women is so strong the idea of a corpulent heroine is almost unheard of.
• • Curvier women such as Mae West, Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, and Jane Russell were far more common in old Hollywood, but the outright portly like "Hairspray" lead character Tracy Turnblad have hardly ever gotten their day as lead characters.
• • "Growing up, all I saw were the really thin actors and pop singers of the world. Everybody was so thin and tall and blond — — and everything I was not," said Nikki Blonsky, the hefty 4-foot-10 newcomer who plays Tracy. ...
— — excerpt — —
• • Source: The Associated Press
• • Byline: David Germain
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: • • Mae West • • 1932 • •