Today is 9 January 2007. Welcome to the first day of issue for a new postage stamp in Great Britain - - and MAE WEST is on it.
• • The stamp came about because the iconic 1960s album Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (produced by the Beatles) has been voted the best album sleeve of all time.
• • The Fab Four's 1967 album cover beat out competition from the artwork of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in the survey by CD and DVD replication service Branded-media.
• • One of the world's most recognizable record covers Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is now set to debut on a commemorative stamp throughout the UK on Tuesday 9 January 2007.
• • Concept: The artist behind the iconic work, Sir Peter Blake, was invited to design the Beatles cover, and with his wife Jann Howarth, came up with the idea of a collage of famous people standing behind Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
• • Process: Then John, Paul, George, and Ringo each made a list of people they'd like featured. Blake collected photos and made life-sized cut-outs of them.
• • 88 Notables: There are 88 figures on the album cover including MAE WEST, Marilyn Monroe, Lewis Carrol, Shirley Temple, Laurel and Hardy, Marlon Brando, Edgar Allen Poe, Bob Dylan, Fred Astaire, wax models of the Beatles, floral arrangements, various instruments, garden gnomes, and a television set.
• • If you are near a London post office, come up and LICK Mae and Sgt. Pepper's gang.
• • Come up and see Mae every day online: http://MaeWest.blogspot.com/
• • Photo: Mae West • • 1967 album cover • •